Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Reggae rocks

Reggae is absolutely huge in the Solomon Islands. The three radio stations we get in the truck are constantly playing reggae (with the exception of the awesome oldies hour at 6pm), and after a few weeks I've started to distinguish the most popular tunes.

Right now, the most famous reggae act in town is a Jamaican guy called Conkarah. Honiara was the last stop on his world tour last week, so Jess and I headed down to Cowboy's Bar & Grill to check him out. There were a number of local support acts who were pretty good, like 56 Hop Rod.

 But most of the acts seemed to play very slow songs that didn't encourage dancing. But when Conkarah hit the stage, it was a strong start with this song
 I think I actually enjoyed this one the most
It was a crowded, sweaty dancefloor, but so, so much fun (I got my 10,000 steps for the day in just over an hour!)
Conkarah was a great performer, he really seemed to be making eye contact with the crowd (even though I'm sure he probably couldn't see a thing), and he tried out some pijin which went down a treat. He saved his most popular song for last, and after playing about 30 seconds, stopped the band and restarted, changing the words from "Island Girl" to "Solomon Girl"...needless to say, the crowd went wild. :-)

There were the obligatory covers of Bob Marley, including my favourite "No Money, No WASH" (I mean, "No Woman, No Cry") which were really popular with the crowd. If you like reggae, check out Conkarah!

No comments:

Post a Comment