Thursday, February 13, 2014

Farewell Lucky

We first noticed the dog we named Lucky upstairs outside the restaurant. She kept to herself and seemed to sleep all the time. At some point, I don't remember when, she started hanging around with Joyful outside the office. She quickly became my favourite. 

Every morning as I rounded the corner to approach the office, she'd be standing there with her tail wagging. As soon as we made eye contact she'd come loping over for her morning pats. There was no better way to start the day than to have someone so happy to see you. 

She'd spend most of the day curled up sleeping. We later found out this was because she would spend her nights leading a pack of other dogs on all sorts of adventures I can only imagine. 
Whenever I went outside during the day, she'd lazily open one eye and as soon as she realised it was me, she'd immediately roll over and request belly rubs.
She was also very inquisitive and gentle with a new teeny tiny puppy.
But mostly her and Joyful would just pal around and play.
When we moved into a bungalow in the hotel grounds they found us before too long. Even with the door wide open, Lucky knew to stay outside as she'd be rewarded with more tummy pats.
Lucky was poisoned two nights ago. We'll never know if it was accidental or intentional, but it was a terribly distressing thing to witness. I couldn't bear to stay with her until the end, so part of me wants to believe that she shook it off and is now out there somewhere leading a new pack of dogs around Tacloban.

But mostly I will remember her as my happy little furry friend.
Farewell Lucky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment