Tuesday, November 12, 2013

And I'm Back!

Well it's been about four and a half months at home. Not quite the six months I had originally planned, but considering I had no luck finding an apartment to buy because I don't quite have enough money, I figured it was probably a good idea to go back to work. I decided this last week and set tomorrow (Wednesday) as my return date, pretty sure there'd be no deployment for me to go to immediately so I'd still have time to finish my novel and my quilt.

Um. No.

I'm flying out to the Philippines for an indefinite period tonight. No doubt you've seen the devastating images; there's going to be a lot to do. I'm actually really excited about getting back to work, and catching up with colleagues there. I had a huge mound of stuff to pack this morning, and somehow it has all fit in my bag which zipped up without any problems....I haven't weighed it yet, but I'd put my money on 19kgs.

I have enjoyed my time off though. The novel is almost done...only about 4000 words until the first full draft is finished. The Doctor Who knitted quilt I've been working on is almost done. I just have to crochet it altogether. I've had a ball knitting up a storm, and teaching myself to crochet various bits and pieces. I'm all set for retirement really.

I've also had a couple of visits down to Melbourne for apartment hunting and general fun times, and a great road trip with my dad down to Canberra where we didn't manage to defend our championship at the National Capri and Small Ford Muster. But we did have gorgeous weather for navigating around the nation's capital, and indeed for the 1300km each way drive (though I didn't join Dad for the drive home).

I think everybody should take sabbatical's now and then to recharge their batteries, attempt new things (even if they are unsuccessful) and just generally enjoy themselves. I for one can highly recommend it. From here on in, I don't think there'll be much recharging of batteries for a while, and I've got to say, I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment