Saturday, November 30, 2013

18 days

It's the afternoon before my first day off since I started my journey to the Philippines 18 days ago. The hours have been long, but that hasn't been a problem - it's amazing how fast 15 hours can fly by when you're busy for every minute of them. I'm now based in Cebu City, in the temporary office we have in a hotel conference room. My colleagues are truly something special - the national team here are very experienced in responding to typhoons (and other disasters) and have all been so welcoming and hard working, and always smiling. As for my international colleagues - there have been many reunions with old pals, and plenty of new friends as well. We've got a great bunch of people in Cebu, and in three field offices in areas affected by Typhoon Haiyan.

I haven't gotten out to any of our field locations yet, but they are doing fantastic things. I look forward every morning to calculating the new numbers of people we've reached and the figures are pretty impressive. From a few thousand in the first few days, to now close to 200,000 it is just amazing what my colleagues can do. I hope to get out and see for myself soon enough, but there's plenty of work to be getting on with in the meantime.

But what I'm really looking forward to is a big sleep in, and a day by a pool somewhere with a good book tomorrow. It's very much needed, and I think well deserved!

No comments:

Post a Comment