Friday, May 31, 2013

A wedding, some parrots and a monster truck

I've been a bit busy. Last Saturday I went to my dear friend Elsa's wedding. Now, Elsa has already been married to her husband for a few years, but it was time for the Lebanon component of that. It was also a lovely Tripoli gang reunion, as a few of our friends are back in Beirut working on the Syria crisis, and a few people flew in especially for the wedding, which was so great. Elsa of course, looked absolutely stunning, and did a very good job of getting round all the guests and having a little chat. Unfortunately our photo was blurry. 
The evening was filled with excellent food and great music, with the dancefloor lit from below and above. Every so often the bride and/or groom were lifted up onto peoples' shoulders. Elsa's husband is French and it was really nice watching his relatives try and learn traditional dance moves.
Other things that have happened during the past week or so....well, J and I are now officially regulars at our local cafe. We stop in each morning on the way to work and don't even have to ask for the usual. We say hello to the table of older men who gather there each day, and like magic our cappuccinos appear. On the weekend we tend to stop in for brunch, and the baristas are starting to get very creative with the foam.
Across the road from the cafe there are two grey parrots. These guys whistle and squawk constantly, but every time I stop by them and whistle to them they ignore me...and then start up again as soon as I walk off as if to spite me. Little buggers. 
J has found this particularly entertaining, and has started seeing parrots everywhere...including in our bathroom. She dragged me into the bathroom the other night, told me to sit on the toilet and look at the toilet roll holder.  
 
I started laughing because I thought it was an iron. We've become a bit silly J and I...after I inadvertently took a photo of our iron on J's bedroom floor and was accused of being obsessed with both the iron and her bedroom, we've taken to hiding the iron around the apartment. I tucked it into her bed, Godfather style stifling my giggles all evening until she found it. When I woke up the following morning and opened my curtains, the iron was outside sitting there outside my balcony door. So I thought she was being funny with the toilet roll holder and pointing out another iron - she thought she was being funny pointing out another parrot. Either way, we laughed and laughed and laughed.

I love this ridiculous monster truck that never seems to go anywhere. I did witness the owner trying to start it up one day, but the engine refused to turn over.
 So that's a little bit of what's been happening around here. I've only got three and a half weeks left of this deployment, so I'm sure that will fly by very quickly and I'll be home before I know it!


No comments:

Post a Comment