Wednesday, August 29, 2012

New (human) digs

We moved into our new guesthouse a couple of days ago. While it doesn't have lovely doggies to greet us, it does have an outdoor space with a big tree and some flowers which makes for a nice change. It's a big house that's been divided into two separate apartments, with three women downstairs and five bedrooms for the men upstairs. 

My bedroom looks out onto the big tree, which sure beats looking into the next door neighbour's lounge room. And it has a brand new bed that doesn't squeak and groan every time I roll over, and a chest of drawers AND a wardrobe...which is definitely better than draping my clothes over a pile of mafraj cushions!
Our new kitchen has an oven that actually works, we've already made a delicious pasta bake and some roast veggies. What's lacking is any sort of bench space for chopping things, but hopefully this will be rectified soon.
The lounge room is massive - I think this would typically be a mafraj as it's long and narrow. The dining table is a bit small, but it worked well enough for a game of cards the other night.
 And finally, the very blue bathroom...there's something weird about coloured toilets don't you think?
Today marks 8 weeks in Yemen for me, at the same time it feels like I've been here for ages and a minute. I'm really enjoying life in Sana'a, and I'll be getting out to our field offices in Aden, Al Hodeidah and Haradh in the coming weeks, which I'm really looking forward to. I know I've been a bit slack with the blogging of late, so I'll try to put a post together soon with an update on the situation in Yemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment