Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Welcoming committee

There's a family that lives in the ground floor apartment in our building. These two lovely little critters belong to them:

Every morning when we walk downstairs the two of them go nutso. The little girl dog immediately rolls onto her back and present her belly for patting, which her big brother gets jealous and jumps around trying to regain all the attention. It's really a two person job to ensure that they both get equal pats.

The other day when I got home from work the kids were playing with the dogs. I attempted to ask one of the boys what the dogs' names were. My Arabic is not just rusty, it's basically non-existent, so I don't know whether I was asking "name?" in the masculine or feminine form. What I do know is that I was definitely asking 'what's your name?' to the kid, while pointing at the girl dog. He didn't seem to mind, and said "Fluffy". I then pointed at the boy dog, and he replied "Fluffy". So from here on, they'll be Fluffy and Fluffette to me.

The kid, who's probably about 10, then produced some meat that they were going to feed the dogs. He indicated that he wanted me to hold this particular bit of meat high in the air so that Fluffy would stand up on his hind legs to eat it. I shook my head politely, as it looked pretty gross, but the kid was so insistent. I took the piece of meat from him and then realised there was an eyeball attached to it. "Ewwwwwwww," I cried and the kids all laughed. Fluffy however, wasn't bothered and performed his trick and got his reward. Fluffette got a bone and everyone was happy.

It's nice to have a welcoming committee when I get home, particularly these two who are so very friendly and obviously well looked after....well, they could really do with a bath!

1 comment:

  1. I'll take one Fluffette please... JM

    ReplyDelete