Monday, July 9, 2012

View from a rooftop

I'm settling into life in Sana'a. Since arriving last Wednesday I've only seen the guesthouse, the office, the supermarket and yesterday I was introduced to a lovely coffee shop that has a nice courtyard. I think it will take me a couple of weeks to get used to the weekend being Thursday/Friday, and starting my working week on a Saturday. TGIW doesn't quite have the same ring to it as TGIF...

Those of you who've seen my photos before will know that I love taking pictures of interesting doors. I think in Yemen it will be a series on interesting windows.

The atmosphere seems to always be hazy, though this could be mostly sand; it's quite muggy during the day but then a cool breeze comes in the late afternoon. You can see the minarets of a big mosque below (I haven't found out the name of it yet), and apparently we get a better view of it from the guesthouse roof, particularly at night, so I'll have to take my tripod up there one evening and see what I can see.

Below is a view in another direction; I was surprised at the landscape as I flew into Sana'a - what started as red sandy desert turned into jagged mountains. We're at 2300m here, but I haven't really had a problem with the altitude...touch wood.

Work seems to be going well, I've already written my first sitrep (situation report), and I've got lots of new ideas for other communications work that can be done internally. I think this deployment will be really interesting, and quite challenging.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. It’s been months since you settled in Sana, so I suppose you’ve already been to so many places eh? I hope you did. :) Anyway, I love the view from your rooftop, Carly. I hope the sandy and muggy climate does not affect your relaxation up there. Those white towers (2nd photo) are very interesting. The surrounding area is also quite dramatic and classy, which is very pleasing to the eye.

    Kip Whitehead

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn’t it nice to stand up on your rooftop and stare at the places from a far? I love doing this especially whenever I’m stressed. By the way, how’s your stay there at Sana?

    -Penelope Dingee

    ReplyDelete