Monday, February 13, 2012

A Sunday Drive to Remember

I think I would have enjoyed my family's Sunday drives more when I was a kid, had they been more like my day yesterday. I went with two friends to the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, the Giraffe Sanctuary, and then about four hours cruising around Nairobi National Park on a little mini safari.

I didn't mind going back to see the baby elephants, particularly when there was a little weenie one this time and they also had a mud bath to play in. This was my favourite pic of the day:

and I thought this guy was particularly talented...'look Ma, no hands!'

We stopped off in Karen (the suburb named after Karen Blixen) for a delectable lunch in a lovely garden before heading on. I hadn't been into Nairobi National Park before, so it was somewhat surreal to be on safari with high rises visible on the horizon. There were so many zebras, we saw three or four huge herds, but I liked these four the best.

We'd almost given up hope of seeing any of the big five and were heading back to the entrance when we pulled up behind another car. You know when a car is pulled over it usually means there's something to look at...it took me a minute, but I spotted her eventually.

We sat and watched the lioness for a while, and finally agreed to leave her as the sun was beginning to set and it was time to get back to the entrance. The 'thuhdump thuhdump' we could hear as we pulled away from the lion wasn't a good sign. Paul, our lovely driver drove for a little while to get us away from the lion before jumping out to confirm that it was a flat tire. If you're ever looking for a way to speed up a tire change, just imagine you're surrounded by man eaters that you can't see!! Thankfully Paul got it changed very quickly and wasn't attacked by anything lurking in the long grass.

We hadn't made it much further when he slowed the car down again. There was a great herd of buffalo winding across the road. I'd only seen a couple of buffalo when I went of safari a couple of years ago, and didn't really see why they were so threatening. But when there are tens upon tens of them looking at you, it is a bit nerve wracking (particularly when you're in a little Toyoto hatchback!)

We were happy to sit back and wait for them to cross, but the car behind us drove around us and up to them, so we stuck close to him and made it through the herd with no problems. We were covered in dirt and hot and sweaty by the time we got home, so after a quick shower we settled in with beer and popcorn, and watched The Lion King...fitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment