Saturday, December 31, 2011

What a year!!

It seems that the years are flying past more quickly these days, and that I'm packing more and more into 365 days. 2011 has been no exception.

This time last year I knew I'd be starting a new job and there was a lot to look forward to. Eleven months into the job and I've been to England (3 times), Mexico, Guatemala, Liberia, Senegal, Cote d'Ivoire, Kenya and Ethiopia for work (and a nowhere near enough break in Zanzibar!). It's been a year full of learning and initiation (and initiating) and stress and pressure. 12 hour days cramped up in a little meeting room in Liberia, trying to navigate a certain government (who may or may not somewhat rhyme with myopia) screening and controlling our communications, and also determining my own role and how it best fits in a sea of international internal politics.

But within that (by no means exhaustive) list of challenges have also been far too many rewarding moments to list; colleagues, both local and internationals, who made all the long hours and politics enjoyable through either their friendship or their competence (levels of which can differ greatly) hands down top the list. I have made so many new friends this year from all corners of the world, a wonderful, inspiring bunch, and even more luckily, great housemates too!!

So I move into 2012 with just as much excitement as I did 12 months ago, as I now know what I want to achieve in my role and how to improve certain things to do that. While I'm starting the new year in a not-so-exotic deployment of 2 months in Oxford, I'm keen to try my hand at something a little different and do some work from a HQ perspective. And after that, well nobody knows where I'll be sent...and that's exactly what excites me the most.

I wish you all a safe, healthy and prosperous 2012,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

No comments:

Post a Comment