Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Zanzibar wonderful wonderousness

I can't say enough how magnificent my holiday in Kendwa, Zanzibar was (well I can, but I won't). I did exactly what I wanted to do, which involved a lot of lounging, reading (6 books finished), swimming, napping, eating and drinking. And in surrounds such as this:

and this:

I really felt like I'd found utopia. I even managed to write 5,000 words of my long ignored novel, so not only a relaxing little spot, but a productive one as well!

I stopped in at a spice farm on the way back to Stone Town and really enjoyed learning about all the different plants, roots, flowers and fruits that create the little spice jars that Masterfoods sell. This one was especially cool:

They call it the lipstick plant, because if you squish the little berries you get a very flattering (!) orange paste that you can smother on your smackers.

I wasn't too fussed about Stone Town and wished I'd spent my final night at the beach. I did enjoy strolling around the old town taking photos of all the wonderful doors. This was the best blue one I found:

and the rest were quite stunning.

There's so much I could say about how fantastic Zanzibar is, but I don't quite have the energy to write an essay on it. You can see all the pictures here.

No comments:

Post a Comment