Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Close encounters: giraffe edition

I've just gotten home from the Giraffe Centre in Nairobi, and what a fantastic way to spend my last morning!! There are 12 giraffes in the herd, and there's a viewing platform at head height (for the giraffes) where they come to be fed. And who does the feeding?

Moi!!

I've never been slobbered on as much, and while I was quite happy feeding my new friend from my hand, I just had to get a kiss. There's nothing like a gigantic head approaching your face and a massive black tongue reaching out for the pellet pressed between your lips!

It was really great to see the giraffes so closely, they really are beautiful creatures.

Perhaps not as traditionally beautiful, there were also a few warthogs running around. Though this one wasn't running as his front legs were lame.

I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone travelling through Nairobi (more photos here). I had lunch with a friend from Senegal afterwards, came home and managed to pack everything up (very glad I made the decision to buy a new carry-on size waterproof bag yesterday) and now there are just a few hours left until I have to head to the airport.

It's been a pretty magical few months!

No comments:

Post a Comment