Friday, August 5, 2011

I'm in Ethiopia

I arrived in Addis Ababa early this morning (after my flight left Nairobi at 3:30am) and found it much easier to get out of the airport than this time last year when I missed my flight, had no money and had to practically beg my way into a transit visa! So easy (and particularly without luggage) in fact, that my scheduled taxi was not waiting for me. After walking the length of the terminal looking for the taxi office (which someone had informed me was indeed inside the terminal) I asked a guard where it was. He pointed outside into the darkness (it was about 6am). "Where exactly?" I asked. He waved his hand again into the general direction of the darkness. So I followed a couple of air hostess into the darkened carpark and was relieved to see a number of men wearing brightly coloured Taxi vests. It took a while to find the man who was supposed to have been waiting for me, he exclaimed that I was too early, I managed to keep my mouth shut and not tell him he was too late.

It was a very short drive to my guesthouse, which I would class as a basic hotel. It's clean, it has a building site about a metre away from the window, but thankfully it looks like nothing happens there. It was the noise of the city traffic waking up that really hampered the couple of hours I had to sleep! But after all that, it's been an exciting day in the office, figuring out exactly what needs to be done in the next 10 days, and potentially longer than that, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands a bit dirtier than they've been in Nairobi (but certainly not proper dirty, I'll be spending the majority of my time in rainy, grey Addis).

No comments:

Post a Comment