Thursday, June 2, 2011

Waggadabbadooo

A few years ago I went on holiday to Cambodia. Out the front of the marvellous Angkor Wat we were accosted by children try to sell all sorts of things. Each of them had their own little trick to entice you to buy. There was one kid selling postcards and his method was naming capital cities. We started with the easy ones, America, England, Japan, Australia. We then moved on to slightly less well known capitals and he easily got them all. I finally stumped on him on the capital of Burkina Faso. The look on his face when I told him it was Ouagadougou was priceless.

Some time later, I was watching the remake of "St Trinians," in which the unruly schoolgirls take part in an interschool quiz (hilariously hosted by Stephen Fry) and one of the questions is, what is the capital of Burkina Faso. Amazingly, the ditsy blond posh totty knows the answer and exclaims, "Oooowagadoogo!" (See 09:22)

I was never entirely sure how to pronounce Ouagadougou, but I shared my apartment with two lovely men from Burkina Faso this week so I asked them. I'm happy to share with you, that the correct pronounciation is "Wagadugu". Simple really.

No comments:

Post a Comment