Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Supper by the sea

Saturday feels like a long time ago, but it was quite a day. After a bit of a sleep in I wandered down to the corniche and did some shopping. I then rushed home to meet my new french teacher for the first time to figure out a schedule etc. Before I knew it, it was time to head to Magic Land...

well, we didn't go into Magic Land, which is one of those slightly run down fairgrounds that would be the perfect setting for a spooky Scooby Doo episode. I was with my colleague V, another colleague's wife B and we met up with the lovely HR intern A, at this nice little place next to Magic Land. There were endless things happening to keep our attention:

The smells of barbecuing meat wafted up temptingly to our table (which was particularly frustrating as our dibi [grilled lamb] took ages to arrive)

Then there was the wrestling. My office welcome pack had already informed me that wrestling is the national sport of Senegal. What started off as just a couple of guys practicing,

into probably 20 men and boys wrestling all over the sand.

We sat for a few hours, enjoying the sea breeze and our late lunch/early dinner (lunner?) but eventually it was time to go. As we were negotiating for a cab, I noticed this at the roundabout:

You can't really see, but on each side there are scales, I'm guessing the Justice department is nearby...

Saturday night was spent at a party on the other side of town. The house was gorgeous and right on the beach...and that's the difference between UN and NGO salaries!! It wasn't a particularly late night out, but I very much enjoyed doing a whole lot of nothing on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment