Tuesday, February 22, 2011

An update from Oxford

Of the many benefits to working in the humanitarian sector, I find over and over again that the best part is meeting people from all over the world. Just wandering around the office in the last ten minutes I’ve overheard conversations in French, Arabic and Spanish. I could pick up a few words of the Arabic conversation, but really useless things like “yes, I agree” and “what?” So it’s not like I’m listening in, just merely enjoying the multiculturalism of it all. Similarly, I love finding out where people are from. I’d been trying to figure out where a colleague was from, and it turns out they’re from Reunion Island. I’ve never met anyone from there before!!

I’m busy at the moment preparing for my deployment to Mexico and Guatemala. I’m going to train one staff member in the regional office in Mexico City, and then we’ll both go to Guatemala City to do some training with staff there and help set up their information management systems for a small response. Considering my only exposure to Mexico was a brief stop in Juarez a couple of years ago, I’m really looking forward to getting out and about in Mexico City and eating lots and lots of churros. And perhaps a burrito or two as well. But mainly churros! As for Guatemala, that will be my first visit to central America, but I don’t think I’ll have any time for sightseeing there.

One of the new things I’m looking forward to getting into is a bit of video work, I’m going to have a short session with the video trainer in the next couple of days, and he’s set me an assignment while I’m away. I’m to tell the story of my deployment from start to finish in 2 minutes. If I do a good job you might see the end result here!! The challenge is now for me to pack everything back up again (minus the small backpack of winter clothes I’ll leave here as I definitely won’t need them in Mexico – yea!) and try to figure out a way of managing all the electronics I’ve got. Two cameras, a video camera, two phones, two laptops, and endless adaptors, chargers, batteries, plugs...I feel like I need a whole backpack just for that!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm Churros
    v xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree on the churros (*drool) but don't forget what I told you about the burritos... J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Mexico City can be quite cold at night, so don't go without any warm clothes!

    ReplyDelete