Saturday, January 15, 2011

Queensland floods

The flooding in my home state has gobsmacked us all.

Brisbane is 100km north of where I live and it's been a strange experience to watch places I know on the news completely flooded. Thankfully none of the people I know in Brizzie were affected. 12,500 people turned out to volunteer in Brisbane today, a wonderful display of solidarity and "mateship". I'll head up next week to see what I can do. Other areas of Queensland have been decimated and the footage we've been seeing on the news is heartbreaking stuff.

It's not something that's making the news here but flooding also continues in Brazil and in Sri Lanka and we have to remember that the local communities there will be the most important responders to these disasters, just like they have been in Briz vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment