Tuesday, January 4, 2011

C-C-Currumbin Sanctuary

Just down the road from home is the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary. I hadn't been in years and had been looking forward to an opportunity, so a visit by my brother's girlfriend from Japan was a perfect excuse. You may have picked up that I love animals, and as a group, Australian animals are the cutest bunch out there...

Exhibit A:

If I believed in reincarnation, I think I'd want to come back as a koala. They just lounge about all day, occassionally munching some eucalyptus leaves, but mostly just hanging out.

Exhibit B: (my personal favourite)

Wombats are super cute. And they're also pretty tough, and can hit speeds of up to 40km/hr. But look at how cute his face is!!!

Exhibit C:

One of the greatest experiences one can have at the sanctuary is feeding the kangaroos. Particularly the cute little soft ones. There are about 100 kangaroos in an open area that you can stroll around and feed and pat. We saw quite a few little joeys too, along with some mighty big males.

There are also lots of not so cute animals, like snakes and lizards and cassowaries (which are truly vicious) and the bushland is wonderful. I can't recommend the sanctuary highly enough - if you're ever visiting the Gold Coast you must visit. A new addition was a high ropes course, which is included in the entry fee. It was certainly challenging, and fun, but I am SO sore today!!

I picked up a cheap little 12 megapixel Fujifilm camera on sale the other day, so took it along with me to test out. I'm not particularly impressed with the results (the zoom is pathetic), but it will be handy to have a little camera (and a bright pink one at that!) that I can always have with me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for coming by Carly and an even bigger thank you for putting your kind words about Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary online! Come back soon :)

    ReplyDelete