Thursday, December 9, 2010

A brief travel update

The few days I had in Kuala Lumpur were not entirely action packed, but I did manage to do some important things, like shopping in Chinatown!! I was glad I made the (short) trek out to the Batu Caves, it's a seriously cool place with this fantastic statue - which can see through the binoculars on the 86th floor of the Petronas Towers - and a measly 272 steps to get up to the top!

The cave itself is beautiful, very atmospheric, with lots of mini temples inside and offerings all of the place.

But what makes this place most interesting is the sheer number of monkeys. Monkeys above, monkeys below, monkeys monkeys everywhere.


I wasn't stupid enough to get anywhere near them, but that wasn't the same for everyone.

The other touristy thing I managed to squeeze in was a trip up the Petronas Towers. There are a limited number of tickets for sale each day, and I think I got there just before 8am and there were already a couple of hundred people in front of me. The earliest ticket I could have gotten, when I finally got to the front of the queue some two hours later, was at 4pm but I chose to go at 6ish to catch the sunset.

A smart choice, even if I do say so myself.

The towers are quite the engineering feat, and look beautiful lit up at night.

From KL I headed to Bali to meet up with Em, but that's a story for another day (when my internet time isn't about to run out!).

I'm heading home to Australia this afternoon and am not looking forward to getting into Melbourne at the ungodly hour of 2am! But it will be wonderful to be back in the land that's girt by sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment