Thursday, November 4, 2010

The wrangler

I can't recall if I've posted this video before, but even if I have it's definitely worth another viewing. When I worked for ACFID, I used to deliver presentations to the military about NGOs and humanitarian principles. I discovered this video and found it to be an excellent ice-breaker to help explain the challenges of civil-military cooperation/coordination (CIMIC).

The term "herding cats" is often thrown around in the NGO sector, and while it doesn't really flatter the leaps and bounds that organisations have made in working together, it does provide a humourous insight into the absurdity that coordination can entail. I've experienced first hand the challenge of trying to bring different organisations together around a single policy point and being hampered by different mandates or motivations. But this isn't just restricted to NGOs - the coordination any humanitarian agencies (hello cluster approach) is extremely challenging for those involved.

Anyway, this isn't meant to be a long and well thought out post about challenges in coordination (perhaps one day I'll write on the subject), I just wanted to share the video!

No comments:

Post a Comment