Saturday, August 7, 2010

Productive unemployment

I've decided that my unemployment officially starts on Monday. Until now, I've been travelling and on holidays, and as someone put it, as long as you're not at home on the couch, you're not unemployed. As of Monday however, I think it's safe to say I'll be unemployed. Which I'm totally ok with, for a good few weeks at least anyway. A number of people I've spoken to seem to find it very stressful that in this line of work, many of us will finish a contract and not necessarily have something else lined up. I don't really think it's a problem though if you've been reading this blog for a while you'll remember how stir crazy I was going before I got the job in the Philippines!! But it's actually quite nice to have indefinite time off - ideally, I'd like that indefinite period to be about 6 weeks, but we'll have to wait and see how that turns out!

I'm going to go against the grain of (stereo)typical dole bludgers (since I'm not actually going on the dole) and try to be a little bit productive during my unemployment. My first step is to clear the other half of my bed of the clothes and crap that I haven't been able to find room for yet: it will be nice to not to be relegated to 60cm of bed! I'm going to catch up on all the fantastic blogs I haven't been reading - look to the right the screen and you'll see the list I'm talking about (and more). I've already got some books out of the library, mainly about Sudan, so that might come in useful one day. I'm flirting with the idea of one of those language cd courses...but perhaps I shouldn't get too carried away!! Then there's the fun stuff like getting Dilbert checked out by the Dell doctor, finding some compact ipod speakers, potentially buying an ebook reader - does anyone have any tips on that???

And of course, throughout all of this productivity I suppose I might even apply for a job or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment