Saturday, February 27, 2010

Snow falling on cedars

We had the day off today, so Ingebjorg and I jumped in the Fiat Punto and headed up to the Cedars to see some snow. On the way, we weren't feeling too optimistic, because there was no snow to be seen. And then we passed a small puddle. Suddenly I was 10 years old again, in New Zealand with my family and seeing snow for the first time. "Stop the car, stop the car," my brother and I screamed from the backseat, frantically pointing at the one foot square patch of snow on the ground. Mum and Dad had to assure us that there'd be more snow a bit further on, and sure enough there was.

It was the same today. We hit the snow line and then turned into the cedar park. As we started down the narrow road, it actually started snowing. Big, fat, wet snow!

I was seriously excited...

Don't worry, we got the car unbogged very easily.

Even the crappy souvernir shop dummies were getting in on the action (it's a bit hard to see through all the snow, but they're wearing ski helmets and goggles)

We then headed back down the hill a bit to where the best cedars are...

I would have been happy to settle for seeing snow around the cedars, but instead, I got to see...

We found a place with a fireplace to have a hot chocolate and warm up

Then after some lunch it was time to head off

This is how much snow had accumulated on the roof of the car...2 knuckes worth!


The drive back down was rainy and slushy, but the sky started to clear up

About five kms from Tripoli it seemed like winter was just a brief memory. The olive groves are so green!

A wonderful adventure!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon every
    day. It's always useful to read through content from other writers and practice something from their sites.
    Also see my web site - emergecny preparedness

    ReplyDelete