Sunday, October 4, 2009

To market, to market

We headed to Tubeneh (I have no idea how it's spelled) this morning to check out the Sunday market. I'd seen the area on my first exploration of Tripoli but hadn't investigated. Luckily so, because apparently it's a dodgy part of town where it wouldn't be entirely safe for me to walk around by myself. But anyway, we had no problems.

It started off like a normal enough souk, with lots of little shops selling all sorts of crap (I managed to find the imitation of my favourite perfume for 5000), and then it moved into the food market. More pink stuff:

Olives, olives everywhere

And lots of delicious smelling spices, which unfortunately, couldn't quite offset the smell of the fish heads and other dead carcasses around the place.

And of course the fish heads got me singing the following in my head for the rest of the day! (The song starts at the 2:20 mark)



After the food section, it turned into a second hand clothing market, which is what we'd come out for...halloween costumes!! We found pretty much exactly what we were looking for in the first couple of stalls, and I was very surprised to see this type of clothing so readily available in a place like Tripoli. You'll have to wait and see what the costumes actually are!

2 comments:

  1. On Sunday Ryan was watching some random cartoon and they made reference to "roly poly fish heads" to which made me laugh and then think of you. Ryan didn't get the reference, so I got to do the Dance of Pop Culture Knowledge Superiority around the sitting room, which is not something I get to pull out all that often.

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always an awesome feeling to be able to do the DoPCKS, I'm glad I could help you out this time around!! :-)

    ReplyDelete