Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The very model of a modern modest man

I had to stop in at the landlord's office yesterday to pick up the hanging rods for our wardrobes (which unfortunately ended up being slightly too long) and hand over copies of our passports. He invited me to sit (which I was reluctant to do as the man chain smokes in this tiny office) and sent his brother out to get me a lemon slushie, and proceeded to tell me about his life.

He spent 33 years in Saudi Arabia. "It was very tough, very tough. But it was also very good. Because I became very rich." The modesty continued with the statement, "I am a genius at what I do. I am number one in Lebanon, Saudi Arabia and probably England too." He then went on about something to do with Mobil petroleum, and Hulk Hogan, but I'm not sure if the two were related. He finished off by saying that the first million riyals were the hardest, that it took 17 years, but the next million (about A$220,000) only took three months. He now has 50 properties...

The slushie was great though!

No comments:

Post a Comment