Monday, August 3, 2009

Where in the world?

When I was in Bangladesh I had the fantastic idea of downloading Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?, that wonderful educational computer game that people of my age grew up with.

I'd forgotten all about this of course, and rediscovered it on my computer last night. I'd spent some time playing before, so I already held the rank of Private Eye (I couldn't tell you how many ranks there are), all I needed to do was solve 4 cases and then I'd get another promotion. The thing about this version of the game, is that it's missing certain elements: when it comes time for a promotion, you're asked a trivia question and directed to look up the answer in some almanac that should be included. I don't have it, and in the past, I simply alt+tabbed into the interwebs and google told me the answer.

I don't have internet access at home at the moment, so had to think creatively when I was asked what year construction began on the Golden Gate bridge. A lightbulb went off over my head and I opened up Picasa to my photos of my trip around the USA. People have laughed at my tendancy to take photos of signs, but there it was, the answer to my question. I'm now an "Investigator". I'm such a dork...

No comments:

Post a Comment