Friday, July 17, 2009

What's in a name?

Regular readers will know I've had some troubles with my name of late; I find it extremely amusing to see what combinations of misspelled and mispronounced names I can get. My first name has been confused as Carla, Carl, Karen, Kathy, Charlie...but this week, a new name has wiped the floor with those.

When you drive into the Beirut office, you are first stopped outside the big gate, and a man scans the car, for what exactly I'm not sure. You then enter through the solid gate, and there's a different check. While this is happening, a man at the security box opens the windows and has everyone in the car shout out their names. Once all this is done, a boom gate slides back and you're free to enter.

So the other day, after the driver and the two ladies in the back had called out their names, I called out my name. "Darling?" "No!" my driver shouted back, "CARLY!". "Oh, not Darling, Carly," the security man confirmed.

Yep, just call me Darling...

No comments:

Post a Comment