Friday, July 10, 2009

My temporary home

Thank goodness one of my new housemates has a car, otherwise it would have been quite a struggle getting my stuff over there from the office. The apartment is only a 10 minute walk from the office (I pleasantly discovered that this morning) and is lovely and airy.

The living room:

The dining room:

The view from the main balcony (off the living room):

Looking left:

Looking right:


Elsa had to go down to Beirut and Vidar headed off to the gym, so I spent some solitary time curled up in an armchair reading, listening to the sounds of the street below. This was interrupted quite suddenly by several loud bangs. My first instinct was to run over to the window to see what was going on, but my security briefings kicked in and I moved away from the doors and windows. I soon figured out that it wasn't gun fire (it would've had to have been a rather large shotgun) but fireworks...odd to let off fireworks while it was still daylight, but it happened sporadically throughout the rest of the evening.

Vidar reheated some food he'd been cooked by a Palestinian colleague which we shared over a glass of red wine...I think I'll be quite happy here for the next few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. My mistage was to approach the ledge when I heard gunfire...and then I stepped on my glasses when I made a hurried retreat. My bad.

    James

    ReplyDelete