Monday, July 13, 2009

Fun times at the bank

I had to open a Lebanese bank account today, and thankfully I took one of my local colleagues with me. The first issue was the name on my passport, or rather, the lack of my father's name on my passport. "We don't do that in Australia," I offered. "Oh, but we need to know your father's name..." So I wrote down my dad's name, and I believe my ATM card will soon read my first, middle and surname, then my dad's name...

The other thing that entertained me about the experience (always look on the bright side of life) was watching the woman enter my details into the computer. "Are you married?, she asked" "No," was my reply. She clicked on a drop down menu to enter my marital status and there were a number of choices: married, divorced, widow, widower. There was no "single" option, it was "celibataire". I had to stifle a giggle over what was being implied there...

No comments:

Post a Comment