Monday, January 12, 2009

A Carly for any occassion

It's a funny thing, this being at home business. My friends swivel between treating me like a guest who should be pandered to and spoiled, and a piece of the furniture. I admit I prefer the latter. I'm also considered the go-to girl for anything - need someone to go to an exhibition no-one else wants to go to? Done. Need someone to go to the movies with because everyone else has seen the movie you want to? Done. Need a car companion for a late night trip to the back of beyond to see some glow worms? Done.

And that about sums up the awesome weekend I had in Briz Vegas. Poor Adam, the nerdy geek (or is it a geeky nerd?) really wanted to go to the GAME ON exhibition at the Gallery of Modern Art, however no-one else was interested in going with him. Enter Carly, who thinks it's a totally rad idea, and an awesome time is had. The exhibition traces the history of computer games, from major works of infrastructure powering a weird cathode raytube looking thing (on which you played a space game - and don't pull me up on a cathode raytube looking thing, there probably actually WAS a cathode raytube in there somewhere, I was just trying to sound technical), to the X-box 3 billions that are currently out now.



And of course, there were plenty of games to play, from old school arcade Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, to a weird Japanese version of Pong (which was also there in it's original form) which involved throwing food at the opposition, to a computer set up with "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" game - the one where you enter DOS text commands.

Well, I didn't do too well (only 10 points), so after Adam and I got home, we switched on the interwebs and had another go. Between four of us, we still couldn't get very far, which is when I announced that we should get the movie out and look for tips. And what fun that was! We resolved at the next possible opportunity to try again. Julz and I went back to her place, and put on our old favourite, "Bio-Dome", a cinematic classic, and quite possibly Pauly Shore's finest work...tehehe "free Mahi Mahi", "shave poochy poochy"...

Sunday was another successful outing to the DFO (Direct Factory Outlet) near the airport for Julz, Vardy and me. (Go on Steve, just try to challenge my grammar on that one...) I love a successful (cheap) shopping trip. In the afternoon (after Julz and I spent some time reaching a grand old score of 30 on HHGTTG) Julz and I went to see "Twilight", as everyone else had already seen it, and it seemed like a good way to kill a couple of hours. It was ok. The book is much better, but at least now my memory is refreshed as I just acquired the sequel to read.

To bring the weekend to a close, Julz asked me if I wanted to go and see the glow worms. The glow worms live out at Natural Arch, in the Gold Coast hinterland, and I hadn't been out there in years. So why not!! It was a bit of a hike out there, it's a good 30-odd minute drive from the highway, and then a nice trek by flashlight down to the cave where they live, past group after group of Asian tourists. The glow worms aren't numbering as highly as they used to, which is sad...

Now, you have to look quite closely, perhaps try squinting and tilting your head to the side a bit, but there are in fact glow worms in the photo...



No flash photography was used and therefore no glow worms were harmed in the making of this photo...

Awesome weekend.

Anyone else need a Carly to do something with??

1 comment:

  1. hah! I wouldn't dare mess with "in between jobs carly"... I pity the fool :)

    ReplyDelete