Friday, November 7, 2008

In ole New York

I set off this morning with no firm plan of what I was going to do, and made my way to Times Square. I'd like to say that I was blown away by the craziness of it all, but I guess at 9:30am on a Thursday, there's not a lot going on. But I did get very excited about all the possible Broadway shows I could see (Wicked is at the top of the list).

From there I jumped back on the subway and headed down to get the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. As soon as I got out of the station, it started pouring...thankfully I'd put my gore-tex jacket in my bag, so the top half of me remained dry. The Statue of Liberty was pretty cool, even though I had to go through ANOTHER security check (I had to get rid of my water bottle and go through an air spray machine - it's hardly an airport!!) and since it was such a crap day, the view to Manhattan wasn't brilliant.

The Ellis Island Immigration Museum was really interesting, and heartbreaking at the same time. Just imagine spending 2 weeks on an overcrowded boat from Europe to be turned back for one reason or another.

More heartache followed when I headed to the World Trade Center memorial centre after that. Thank goodness they provided tissues! Some of the things that had been salvaged from the destruction, including a child's teddy bear, and a fireman's ripped jacket and mangled helmet were extremely moving. It's hard to believe that it happened seven years ago.

I walked from there to Wall Street, which is hardly the bustling hub of finance I had expected it to be. Where were all the spunky investment bankers?? (I guess in their offices, doing spunky investment banker things) I walked down to the end of the street and had a squiz at the Brooklyn Bridge, but it looked like rain again, so I wasn't going to chance walking across today.

Tomorrow? Who knows! My friend Katie is arriving from London tomorrow night - after I've moved out of the rather nice hostel and into an old uni friend's apartment. That'll save me a pretty penny on accommodation! I just checked out how much money I'd spent already and got a bit of a shock...but c'est la vie, I'll be somewhere much cheaper soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment