Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?

I decided to wander the downtown streets of San Francisco this morning, get a feel for the place. I spent last night chatting with my dorm-mate Sylvia, who's from L.A. originally but has just moved to San Fran for a new job and is waiting for an apartment. Anyways, she'd told me about the different neighbourhoods and how there's a great hostel nearby (I need a room for Friday night) but it's in a dodgy 'hood, called, get this, the Tenderloins.

Anyway, quicker than I expected, I found myself being accosted by crazy people, men blowing me kisses, asking me very inappropriate questions, and just lots of crazy people talking to themselves. I discreetly checked my map, and yup, I was in Tenderloins! One of the first things I noticed when I got to San Fran were the homeless men on literally every street corner. So I got out of there quick smart and otherwise enjoyed wandering up and down (literally) different streets, enjoying the sun. The streets are steep beyond imagine!

Come the afternoon, I decided to treat myself to a movie, and went and saw "W." I seriously misunderestimated Josh Brolin. Now, the last thing I remember seeing him in was the Goonies, so perhaps my expectations were pretty low, but he was brilliant. His George Dubya was superb. A lot of the other personifications weren't as good (Condi, Rummy) but his was spot on. It was long, but good. Of course, I laughed a lot more than anyone else in the theatre, but I'm guessing if they were Republicans, they wouldn't have been there in the first place.

Tonight, I'm engaging in an even greater intellectual pursuit. I'm going to a lecture by some economics professor on poverty and corruption...experiencing the Bangladesh context first hand has given me some insight into this, so I'll be interested to hear what he has to say. Hopefully it's not too economic-y.

Another 10 points up for grab with the subject...Rowan, come on down!!

3 comments:

  1. only someone who went to a school for kids who can't read stuff and want to learn to do other stuff good too will be able to answer this one :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooh, 10 points to Steve, even though you didn't actually name the movie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. just hand over the points lady

    ReplyDelete