Friday, October 10, 2008

More adventures in air travel

What an eventful 24 hours! Sarah and I went out with a British friend of hers for a lovely meal in Paris last night, I was too full from delicious ravioli and the biggest hunk of veal I've ever seen to even consider desert, which was a shame because they looked amazing!

Anyways, I got myself back out to Charles de Gaulle airport this morning, and had just made it to the front of the check-in line when a combination of cops and army dudes started blowing whistles and screaming at people to get outside. There was an unattended bag, so they needed to evacuate everyone in case it was a bomb. So I stood outside the airport for a good 45 minutes, getting progressively colder, before we were finally let back in.

After a very boring flight (no personal entertainment system on American Airlines...what the?) which was only about 10 hours but felt like a lifetime, I landed at Dallas Fort Worth airport. Got through the first hurdle of fingerprinting and eye scans, laughing politely at the dude's joke about me being an anomaly for not carrying Vegemite with me (though he raises a good point...) and then headed for the customs queue. Not having to wait for baggage sped this process up substantially.

But the customs dude directed me to proceed not out through the exit door, but around into another room. I was then grilled by another dude about where I was staying, why was I going there, what did I know about the place, why did I only have one bag, what was this envelope for, etc etc. Eventually I got out of there, and by the time I caught the shuttle around to my terminal and walked to the gate, I only had to wait a few minutes.

I boarded my connecting flight and sat next to a lovely man from Michigan, who was going to visit his son for the first time since he'd moved away. He'd just hit retirement and didn't know what to do with himself and figured now was as good a time as any to pay a visit.

A visit to where? Well, El Paso Texas. Yep, I'm going to be here for a few days on my own, before I'm joined by Vardy and SLB (she doesn't know I'm here of course!) and really have little clue about how I'm going to fill the time. I will definitely be making a jaunt across to Juarez, south of the border down Mexico way! And I've heard there's a zoo...

At 6pm, there's a warm breeze blowing and I'm thinking I'm lucky I bought some t-shirts and skirts in Paris!!

Catch me if you can!

2 comments:

  1. I told you the customs people would be suspicious if you had no luggage.

    Sorry, just had to say 'I told you so' :D

    Glad they didn't send you back to Australia though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you as soon as it happened!! It was terrible though - I felt like a criminal even though I knew I hadn't done anything wrong!

    ReplyDelete