Saturday, October 11, 2008

I like big butts and I cannot lie...

Australia is apparently highly ranked on the fattest countries in the world list - I assume America is ranked higher. First thoughts on El Pasoans is that they definitely claim a high spot on the list...I don't say this in a derogatory way - in fact, it's something that is obviously celebrated around here. While Australia is home to the Big Banana, the Big Pineapple and the Big Prawn, El Paso boasts the Big Butt:

From U.S of A

And even the shop dummies have more 'junk in the trunk'.
But anyway, enough about butts. After waiting 45 minutes this morning for a bus that never showed up, and then taking rest for a little while, I got into a cab and ventured into downtown El Paso. Not quite as quaint as I was expecting, it's a city home to one million people, it still has a certain charm to it. I headed for the visitor's centre and picked up the walking tour map. I soon got bored of that, and just meandered around the streets.

An Aztec Calendar (well, a replicate)
The first cowboy hat I spotted, I love the expression on his face...
The O.T. Bassett Tower, which was built by Charles Bassett in honour of his father, who was one of the founders of the State National Bank.

It was a beautiful sunny day (note to self, buy sunscreen) and my legs, which haven't seen the light of day in over a year, very much enjoyed the sunshine. After a few hours I figured I'd seen enough for one day, and headed back to the visitor's centre to find out about the buses. The guy was mystified as to why I was staying on the other side of town, and had to call the bus company to figure out the best route for me. But in the end, the two buses I needed were both waiting for me when I rocked up and it was all very easy (and cheap).
Tomorrow, I'm crossing the border!

1 comment:

  1. Slip, slop slap on those lovely legs, Greg has friends in Argentina sp touch base.

    ReplyDelete